Immediate Gratification

There was a little girl who had a little curl...right in the middle of her forhead. And when she was good, she was very very good...but when she was bad she was horrid.

Name:
Location: Boca Raton, Florida, United States

Mother. Sister. Daughter. Friend. Lover.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Love, Part I

Man is designed to be communal. Segregation and isolation can drive the human mind to insanity. We crave companionship and the touch of another person. I don't think I am speaking out of turn when I say that even the most stoic of us needs physical contact and an emotional connection. I met my ex-husband when I was 18 years old. We separated when I was 38. For the better part of those 20 years, I lived in an emotional void; a sterile, loveless, sexless, and humorless environment. By the end, I was so starved for love and affection, I felt as though I might die. Looking back on it now, I had been dying from the inside out for a very long time. Over the past couple of years, my quest for love has taken me on quite the interesting journey. I was on a desperate, frantic search for someone to let me love them and to be loved in return. I went on every date sure that "he" was going to be the one. I looked at every guy I met as the next Mr. Right; the White Knight who was going to sweep me off my feet and make everything all better. I kissed so many frogs, it’s a wonder my hands and feet hadn't webbed.

Recently though, my whole attitude changed. I must have had some sort of epiphany. A period of personal growth for sure. Suddenly, having a man in my life wasn’t so important. I felt really good about being me. Professionally, things were running smoothly. I had a few close and trusted friends. My children were happy and healthy, and really, what else is there? I felt whole and I no longer felt that I NEEDED a man. The hunt for Mr. Right is exhausting and full of disappointment and rejection. Once I stopped the search, I developed a feeling of inner peace, a certain calm and tranquility; a sense of independence and confidence.

They (whoever "they" are) say that love walks into your life when you least expect it. The harder you look, the more elusive the prize. Stop looking and it will find you. I stopped, and it found me. I think that one of the reasons it happened is because I believe in a few basic principles that help me get through life. They are:

(A) Do unto others as you would have done unto you;
(B) The eyes are the windows to the soul;
(C) Respect your elders;
(D) Everything happens for a reason;
(E) Trust your instincts;
(F) For every pot there is a cover; and
(G) Some stuff is just meant to be.

These things are important to me. I believe them and I live them. Thanks to believing in (B), I have found the closest thing to love I've felt in a very long time. They eyes must really be the window to the soul, because if you ask him, I looked into his eyes and touched his soul from across the courtyard.

To be continued…

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what ? no pics ???

and congratulations !

1:20 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Hey, I'm glad I checked in here tonight...been a long time and I'm very happy for you that your life has taken a really nice turn-around! Hope it just grows into something wonderful...you so deserve it

10:16 PM  
Blogger Eatapeach said...

Thanks, Mother. I'm glad you checked in as well. I keep up with yours. I love your poems and your pics. They make me sooooo jealous. Maybe I should start commenting so you know I've been watching : )

And you, A. What are we going to do with you?

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eat ice creme?

8:08 PM  
Blogger Cheetarah1980 said...

I was bored and reading through my old blog entries and happened upon on of your comments. It led me here to check out your post on "sorries." I figured I'd stick around and read your most recent as well. You're very right. Love happens when least expected. Now if I can just figure out a way to hold on to the unexpected love I find, I'll be all good. Wishing you every happiness.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never had I seen the sun shine brighter, so many days seem so precious, my life so complete, and the feeling of my dreams being placed into the palms of my hands ... never had I, until the day you touched my soul with your love."

Plan B

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home