Immediate Gratification

There was a little girl who had a little curl...right in the middle of her forhead. And when she was good, she was very very good...but when she was bad she was horrid.

Name:
Location: Boca Raton, Florida, United States

Mother. Sister. Daughter. Friend. Lover.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Friend of Bill

I am not an alcoholic. But it seems that many of the people in my life – the ones closest to me – are. For a long time I didn’t understand the disease of alcoholism. Like many people, I thought “why can’t you just stop drinking? when did alcohol become more important than me? than your children? than your family? than everything?” The risk of arrest, institutionalization, physical harm, emotional combustion, and even death were not enough to stop these people who meant everything to me to stop drinking, so how could I think that I was enough?

I married an alcoholic and lived surrounded by chaos and fear. To this day, the stench of stale beer on a man’s breath literally makes me gag. While our contact is limited so I can’t know for certain, I believe that Danny still drinks, and that makes me sad for him and for our children. My sister, my best friend, my twin (who technically isn’t my twin but might as well be), has been in recovery for a little over five years. I remember like it was yesterday presenting her with her 1-year medallion. And I can quote verbatim what I said to a room of alcoholics just before I handed it to her. ("I am the very proud mother of two beautiful children, so my life is not short on proud moments, but as I stand here today, I can tell you that I have never been more honored to be somewhere and prouder than I am right now of my sister"). But those years before then (and there were probably 10 or 15 of them) when she was drinking and drugging were hell on earth for my parents, me and collaterally for my daughters as well. And now, my beloved Antonio. I can't recover for him, but I will be there unconditionally with my love, support, strength and whatever guidance I can offer. I will never give up on him, unless he gives up on himself. Hopefully, he will come out of this the man I know he was meant to be. Happy, content, at peace, and sober.

I can party with the best of ‘em. I actually like drinking, getting silly, and letting it all hang out. I’ve often bragged that I can drink like a man (in hindsight, maybe that’s not such a good thing to boast about), but there is a time and a place for everything. There but for the grace of G-d go I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home