Immediate Gratification

There was a little girl who had a little curl...right in the middle of her forhead. And when she was good, she was very very good...but when she was bad she was horrid.

Name:
Location: Boca Raton, Florida, United States

Mother. Sister. Daughter. Friend. Lover.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Oh My Aching Back

When I ask "how are you doing?", depending on our relationship, I expect varying degrees of honesty from you. Don't get me wrong, if you are in my inner circle, you had better tell me the truth - I want to know that you are okay or not okay, whatever the case may be. But, I can't stand it when someone I only mildly care about actually tells me how he or she is doing. Seriously, when did it become appropriate for an acquaintance to tell me that her menstrual flow is exceptionally heavy this month? Is nothing sacred anymore?

Unlike my Aunt Stella who routinely answers the "how are you" question with details of her latest bout with rectal impaction or the most recent family crisis, I'd like to believe that when I am asked how I am doing, I respond with the appropriate amount of decorum. But sadly, I'm afraid I am becoming more and more like my beloved aunt. Lately, I feel like all I do is whine and moan. I complain about work and about my kids. I complain about how fat I've gotten and that none of my clothes fit. I complaint about the price of gas and the fact that cucumbers cost $.79 each. I complain about the entire male species, and various other things no one wants to hear about. The obligatory, "good, thanks for asking", has been replaced with gripes and complaints and detailed descriptions of the lump I found in my abdomen, how tired I am all the time, or the green slime dripping out of my right nipple. I have mastered finding something wrong with everything, and bitching to anyone within earshot.

When did I become so negative? No more, I don't like it. As of this moment, if I don't have anything positive to say, my lips are zipped. I mean really...Life is good, right? Now, please pass me my walker.

3 Comments:

Blogger Plantation said...

Good thing about blogging is that you can freely empty all your thoughts, fears, negativity, etc. I used to be able to say "and no one will notice," but...

5:34 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Krecker said...

The two receptionists in our office instituted a "Therapy" tip jar. Anyone who walks in and complains must pay. There are various rates for various levels of complaining starting with a nickel and topping out at $1.

After spending $10 in the first day, I quickly changed my tune. It's all lollipops and sunshine from me, baby.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Yep, gotta stay on the sunny side! We all know how that other side tends to consume us!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home